I'm back in my zone again, fitness-wise.
I'm not sure what gets me there and what doesn't exactly...but I do know that it's a mental thing - a state of mind, if you will. Yes, it's whether you want it or don't want it, sure. But how *that* gets in my brain (I wanna do it, I don't wanna do it), I'm not entirely sure. All I know is, if I don't feel like working out, it isn't going to happen.
Being in the zone means I've been working out every day, and liking it. It takes a few weeks to realize I'm back in it. You can't work out ONE day and then say "I'm feeling it. I'm back in." Nope...you won't know for a few weeks.
I know a big part of it for me is simply the time of year. As the summer months approach, it gets warmer, and stays light out longer...more conducive for me as far as wanting to move my body. I have written before that in the winter I want to hibernate - I want to sleep more, and cuddle up in bed, and eat more. But in the summer, I feel like I always want to be on the go.
I have decided to go with it this time...my normal states of mind. Since I feel like working out in the summer, I don't think I'll take breaks from it. I typically break between challenges. But why do that if I feel like I want to keep going?
Plus, I'm not taking many free days from working out. I'm just going to go for it every day, and if I miss a day here or there, no big deal, b/c I'm working out every day anyway. Like today, I could not work out this morning due to unforeseen dog issues. That's okay, b/c I haven't missed a day of working out in 3 weeks. More than likely, I will walk tonight anyway. Although I'm not currently counting that as an official workout, at least I won't be totally sedentary.
Likewise, I'm going to go with how I feel in winter months. When the time comes, I am only going to plan for 3-4 workouts a week, and probably something different than my usual weight training and HIIT - probably yoga and Pilates. It may sound lame to only work out 3 times a week, but it is better than nothing, and I have been known to go through long stretches of nothing in the winter. If I only need to do 3 or 4 a week, that is less pressure on myself, and will more than likely be ready to go back to 6-7 a week in the spring. Taking a break in the winter will prevent a burnout, as I am doing this for the rest of my life.
I am also not going to try to do it through the holidays like I did last year. F that. It's no fun, and pretty much not doable, and not what the holidays are about for me. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be free weeks. Yes, I said WEEKS.
It takes a while to know yourself, and I've learned that this is what Myself wants and what will work for me.
Getting back to my current zone, I think another reason I'm in it is just b/c I'm continuing to figure out how to work things inti my schedule, with the baby and all. I'm figuring out what I can and cannot reasonably accomplish in a day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It makes a lot of sense to hold yourself to a plan you know you can live with than one you know you can't. You can always tinker with it if you don't like how things are going. Good luck!
I thought you said I can always "tinkle" at first...ha ha! Thanks Justa.
Post a Comment