Cell phones.
On the college campus where I work, I challenge you to find a student who is not walking and talking on his or her cell phone. I would guess 7 out of 10 students are doing such.
And what, maybe 3 out of 5 drivers? It’s not illegal here as far as I know. Yet.
Really, just about everywhere I go, grocery store, movie theater, mall, it doesn’t matter, I see at least one person on their cell phone. At the very least.
So what, right? What business of is this is mine?
I’ll tell you why it’s my business, and I’ll let you in on a little secret:
Did you know that talking on your cell phone gives you automatic privileges and the right to ignore everyone in your path? What happens is that as soon as you commence to talking on your cellular, an invisible bubble engulfs you – a force field if you will, whereupon as you walk or drive, everyone and everything parts out of your path. Pretty fucking cool, huh? The stuff good science fiction is made of!
I didn’t believe it myself, but my husband and I tried a little experiment. We were at JC Penney’s around the Christmas holiday getting pictures of our baby taken. Getting pictures means you wait around forever to get the actual picture shot (if it’s a holiday), then go away for about an hour while Penney’s tries to figure out the best ways to rip you off by forcing you to look at millions of poses of your little baby…way more than you expected or needed to buy. I mean, you’d be a real asshole if you didn’t find the photos adorable and didn’t want to buy all you could.
Anyway, back to the experiment. Matt & I were shopping around waiting for the great photo finish. We noticed that when people were walking around while talking on their cell phones, several things happened:
1) They somehow could not see us, but we could see them! Even with our stroller. When walking towards other cell phone talkers directly in our path, we could tell they were in a very serious conversation, that they could not see us, and so when they came charging towards us, we were forced to dive roll to the side out of their way. That is very hard to do with a baby in a stroller. We were amazed that the stroller would not break the cell phone force field, but it would not.
2) The invisible bubble essentially created a microcosm of the cell phone user’s living room. What this means is that they had complete privacy to talk as loudly as they wanted about anything they wanted, with total disregard to everyone around them, because, they were basically in their own living room
3) Being on their cell phone and in the bubble gave them dibs to just about everything in the store! Cool!
Matt & I were skeptical, as I said. This couldn’t be true. Matt was getting frustrated that we also did not have this power, or rather, that we weren’t using it to it’s fullest potential.
So you know what he did? He got his cell phone out and started in on a fake conversation. He talked very loudly and with authority, as if what he had to say was serious business & required the utmost attention. He did this as I followed him around with the stroller.
I shit you not….people got out of the way! Matt just stormed through the store and everyone moved for us. The bubble really exists!
I normally would protest such asshole moves like this. I mean, we don’t want to be like the rest of the assholes out there. But, it was pretty freaking funny that everyone moved like that, and that we had the power. And to be honest, I was grateful to not be knocked down anymore by other cell phone users. It felt good to just rampage through the store as if we were very important, too.
So, now I believe in the invisible cell phone bubble and it’s immense power. Having this knowledge helps to explain several things to me:
1) Why students feel the need to call someone as soon as they leave class to tell their friends they are going to the next class now.
2) Why said students can cut me off, walk as slow as they want to in front of me in a zig-zag path, and scream in my ear about the party last night to their friends on the phone.
3) Why people answer their cell phones during movies at the theater, and talk as if there is no one around and like they are in their own living room: “Hey dude. I’m watching Spider-man. Yeah, it’s pretty good. Whaddup?” – all in a normal tone of voice! Groovy!
4) Why when people drive while talking on their cell phones they don’t have to obey traffic laws or even drive in a straight line.
5) Why people need to idly chit chat through the aisles of the grocery store, and why I am forced out of the way while they do so.
6) Why in said grocery store, the sneaky folks who use the hidden ear plug thingies always give me dirty looks when I answer them back. I’m breaking their force field, damn it!
7) Why cell phones have to be answered no matter what, no matter what cost, no matter what the circumstance, even when I’m out to dinner with a friend one-on-one, and so I’m forced to sit uncomfortably throughout their conversation while I look like a tool.
You see, I did not know about the cell phone force field. I was just using my phone for emergencies, or to quickly tell Matt when I’d be home, etc. The conversation always had a direct purpose. And I stupidly tried to be polite and respect others’ space, and to be safe about it while driving,
It never occurred to me to use the cell phone while standing at the cash register, or while in the bathroom stall, or while on a date with Matt. Had I known about the invisible force field bubble, I would have wielded this power long ago.
It’s never too late to learn. My next task is to work on keeping up with cell phone sizes. Every time I upgrade to a smaller phone, they get even smaller, and I can’t keep up. My phone always looks gigantic compared to the bubbly little sorority girl’s phone next to me in line at the bookstore.
I’m sure sometime in the future there will be some sort of nanotechnology where the phone will basically be in our body somewhere and we simply control it with our minds. Awesome! As long as the bubble is still a part of the program, and I’m sure it will be.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Cell Phone Hell: The Generation Gap Widens
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Okay, this was funny! I never thought about it as a "bubble". I can not stand it when people talk on there phones in public! I was standing behind this lady, who was on her phone, and the cashier was needing her card...lady just kept talking as I kept waiting for my turn and the cashier was kept waiting. Okay, this is SO flippin rude!! At least have the curtisy to stop talking, say hello to the person helping you, then after all is done, go back to your call. Also when you're trying to eat a nice meal, come on! I don't give a shit what you have to say...can't be that important anyway. Talk AFTER you eat!
I will NOT answer my phone if I'm waiting in a line, at a quiet place, or while I'm talking face-to-face with someone else (what, they aren't good enough...you have to answer that phone?). Only exception...if it is one of my kids. Could be an emergancy. That is it though!
Good topic! Have a great day ;)
hehehe...LOVE it. I'm guilty of talking on my phone while grocery shopping but mine didn't come with a bubble. I feel ripped off! lol Actually, I'm always talking to my boyfriend, kid or mother. Boyfriend - cause what do I need in the house while he's here/what does he want for dinner/what the freaking heck did I tell him I needed? Kid - cause do we have xy&z in the pantry? And mother - cause I can't remember a recipe.
Before I ever met my boyfriend in person, he impressed me immensly by saying "Hey, I'll have to call you back. I'm going to check out now." Wow! And to this day, whoever on the phone either has to wait, or be called back, when it's time for him to interact with someone in front of him. Love it!
Colette: That's exactly what I'm talking about - people in line who make all of us wait while they finish their phone call. WTF?
IMO, there is very little important enough to talk about on the phone to make others wait.
Exceptions exist, of course. Hubby, children, family. My family rarely calls my cell and it's typically not an emergecny. Jude is too young to call. But now that we've got the baby, it becomes more important to answer if Matt calls. Still, I let it go to voicemail if I'm line, etc.
If I'm talking to someone, and Matt calls, I apologize profusely and say I have to take it. I definitely don't just assume it's not rude of me to take the call. I always explain it could be about Jude. If it's not something he really needs right now, I tell him I'll call him back.
I have yet to receive a true emergency phone call. And, when I really do need to call someone, it seems my battery is always dead.
People who interrupt a conversation with me to take a non-emergency call and then keep talking and talking right in front of me reminds me of the following situation that always seems to happen to me:
If I talk on a land line with someone and call waiting beeps, they almost always take the other call and tell me they'll call me back. If I call them and they are on the other line, they say they are on the other line and will call me back. wtf? I hate call waiting in many ways, too. LOL.
It's probably a surprise to no one that I prefer not to talk on the phone much. E-mails are fine with me. :)
Indy: You are supposed to do all of that stuff (planning your grocery list) BEFORE you leave for the store, silly girl! LOL. Okay, well as long as your bubble is malfunctioning and you don't hog the aisle and/or run into me while talking to your mom/bf/kid, then, okay. I'll allow it. If I ever shop in Indy, which I do frequently, I will be on the look out for you though. :)
What your bf does in line should be a given for ALL people, don't you think? I can't understand why other don't get that.
KC, I soooooo am with you girl! Call waiting is the same damn thing!! When I'm talking to someoen and they get another call, I'm like, "what, I'm not improtant enough to continue talking to?? You need to get away for a moment?" RUDE! (Same goes for when I'm at their house and they stay on the phone while I'm there!!
This is not far different from the ubiquitous iPod; with Bluetooth we're already getting cellphone wearability. Whatever we can do to make our own little worlds that emotionally insulate and protect us from interacting with those around us, or let us maintain our illusion of controlling our personal environment . . . Still, I suppose that's better than the monster boom boxes of the 80's? That's a long way to go to find a positive, though!
How I could go on with this!
I think the stroller-driving parents and grandparents of the world (particularly) should unite to reclaim right-of-way over cell phone users. Now if we can just figure out how to do that without putting our precious cargo at risk of physical injury.
This is interesting. I think as I'm driving tomorrow I will hold the cell phone up to my ear and place a call. I will then close my eyes and see if traffic bounces off my bubble. This could be the answer to my prayers. Thanks KC!
By the way you are much smarter than me and I don't care what anybody says. :)
Colette - We must be the Rodney Dangerfields of the phone world. We get no respect.
TG - Aside from the rudness factor, I had not considered how all this technology essentially puts us in our own world as far as how much we interact with others. Interesting.
Greg - LOL - how did your experiment go? Like most things in life, I wouldn't say the bubble is 100% foolproof, so I wouldn't recommend trying it. As far as intelligence, you're right, I must be smart. I can figure out the answers to Dora the Explorer way faster than my son can.
Post a Comment