Monday, August 04, 2008

July Mini-Vacation recap (long overdue recap, that is)

Unlike my usual fare, I am going to write about normal, every day, life stuff, like most normal people do.

It's hotter than a mofo here. Just sayin'. Now back to the main idea of the story.

I wanted to talk about the mini-vacay hubby and I took, without the kidlet. It was fun, for the most part. We got along with each other fine, just some crummy stuff happened along the way. But the good stuff first.

The funnest part (for us) about Lake Michigan trips is visiting the wineries. So we had a good time doing that. Bought about, oh, 15-20 bottles of wine (we gave some of them away). We went to 5 wineries...probably one too many. We stopped at a small town before the 5th winery to eat at a local place (we like to go local places and not to chains when on vacation), and we stuffed ourselves silly. Some good eats. But then we were so full, that no wine after that was going to taste good. I felt sick, in fact.

Now the bad stuff. We didn't even get out of Indiana b4 getting a speeding ticket. That, of course, royally sucked. Matt hasn't gotten one in like 20 years. I've never gotten one. Our luck ran out I guess. It sucked b/c we weren't even speeding on purpose, you know? Sounds lame, but sometimes, at least the way M & I are, we know full well we are going way too fast. But this time, we were just trying to find the blasted exit. We were on the highway, and neither one of us knew the speed limit had lowered to 45, and neither of us knew how fast Matt was going. It didn't even feel fast...like when M drives erratically, I make him slow down. But it felt normal, we were with the flow of traffic, etc. Felt fine, except 20 over the limit. Oops...can't really make excuses to the cop, ya know? Ya just take it. $134 down the drain.

Then once we got to Grand Haven, fuck! It was like Chicago traffic. Not just the traffic jam itself, but people were being complete assholes. I mean really mean! We complain about drivers here...but this is nothing. People here are relatively nice. The first thing that happened was that Matt changed lanes and got ahead of a truck. Not on purpose or anything...we were barely paying attention to that truck. But somehow, we pissed the guy in the truck off, and he went over on THE SHOULDER on the right to go around all the traffic on the other side and get in front of us again. But we were still ahead. Later down the road when they ended up passing us, the passenger (girlfriend/wife, whatever) flipped us off! WTF?

We actually stayed in Muskegon, but it was like that there, too. Every once in a while here, you'll encounter a mean asshole driver, and you tell your story to whoever will listen, then you move on. There, it was every day, every time we drove somewhere. Sucked.

We blame everyone' s anger on this u-turn system they have there. At stoplights, they won't let you take a left on to the highway. Instead, you take a right, then make a u-turn, which forces all kinds of merging into traffic and therefore all kinds of problems.

Other than all that, it was nice to get away. We ate at some good restaurants and saw the lake so that was all fun. I doubt we'd go there again. I liked South Haven better. I want to do Mackinaw Island next.

So after eating crap for 4-5 days straight, plus drinking, no working out, little water...I felt like crap. I gained 5 pounds! But other than how I look, what really bothers me is how I felt. Crappy, and my g/i system was totally fucked up. So, I've been working on fixing all that since then.

I never thought I'd actually crave healthy food instead of the deep-fried yucky crap I was eating. I let myself play on vacation, so I don't feel bad about it, but I really had to get back to healthy stuff. Plus, this vacation wasn't like our typical vacations where we do a lot of walking or biking. We mostly vegged. It was nice for a change, but damn, do I feel the difference.

3 comments:

tg said...

Just wondering: does the "long overdue" apply to the vacation or the recap?

Glad you had a good time despite the discourteous drivers.

tg said...

And I couldn't help thinking about your post again today, when I see that it is apparently Motorist Consideration Day, kicking off the 20th annual Be Kind to Humankind Week! Perhaps someone will kindly pass the word along to the not-so-polite drivers you encountered, who apparently could use some kindness . . .

KC said...

Okay...English Teacher Flashback!!! No, no, you are right of course. Poor wording on my part. I will change it and make it clearer. :)

Ha regarding the Motorist Consideration Day. I didn't know about that. As it is, I have been doing at giving other drivers the benefit of the doubt and controlling my emotions. Both of those things ain't easy.

site meter