I always wonder what people mean by saying "again" before allegedly repeating themselves.
Example:
You are discussing with another person the ins and outs of something, or discussing how to do something, or you are brainstorming, or something similar, especially say in a work situation - a more formal conversation.
You ask a question, or bring up an idea.
The other person replies with:
"Again, you really need to consider points A, B, and C before making this decision" ... or just, "Again"...and any point after that....with a strong emphasis on Again.
I think one would say "again" in this fashion for one of two reasons:
1) You know you are repeating yourself, or you are unsure whether or not you are repeating yourself, and you want to acknowledge that you are or may be repeating yourself, and that's exactly what you do, acknowledge the repeat, when you say "again". So then the person you are conversing with won't think , 'yeah yeah, you already said that...don't you know you said that?". By saying "again", you are saying you know you already said that, but you have some good reason to say it a second time.
2) You are being a condescending prick by basically saying, "Are you not listening? well, b/c you asked me already before and I have already given you the answer, let me let you know that I am unnecessarily repeating myself by saying 'Again'."
I think I've used "again" before like this, and I think I started out using it for reason #1, but ended up feeling like I was inadvertently using it for reason #2.
Again, I wonder about this. These are the types of mindless things I wonder about in my spare time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm trying to remember if I've ever done this. I don't think so. I guess I have other ways of being a condescending prick.
The dismissive, "Whatever," comes to mind.
I use "whatever" when I can't come up with a better argument. Now you know. :)
I use it when I've already made a better argument and the other person has ignored it - for instance, our youngest daughter insisting that we should feel obliged to babysit. She seems to be getting beyond that, of late (he says, fingers crossed).
The other person I use it with is my wife, but only when she's defying reason. An example would be too long for a comment on your blog. Time permitting, I'll post one on mine.
Post a Comment