Where does one draw the line between legitimate safety concerns, and all out scare tactics?
I used to love “news” shows like 20/20 and Dateline. I’m not sure if I just got older, or if the shows themselves actually changed. It used to be that these shows had informative, fun, or interesting topics as subject matter.
I stopped watching in the 90’s though when every show’s tagline began with something like this:
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INK PENS. YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. NEXT!!!, ON 20/20…
wherein you were forced to watch 20 minutes of commercials before finding out how the dread pen could kill you.
There was a skit about this type of thing on SNL with Jerry Seinfeld as host. It hit the nail on the head, as SNL will do.
Every freaking news show was always about how common household objects, or people on the street, or the neighbor’s cat, could kill you!
I started out at first believing all this shit, as one would do. I mean, this is 20/20. This is Dateline. This is television after all. Television never lies, right? A newsperson always tells the truth, right?
I remember thinking after watching such topics: “OH NO! I’ve GOT to get rid of all of my pens. What if I don’t? I mean, I really can’t do it in a practical sense, so what if I really do get cancer and die?”, then I’d lay in bed all night worrying about the freaking pens.
I am a natural born worrier, you see. It used to control me. Over the years, I have learned to control it. But, like with a drug addict, you don’t want to hang around the drug you are addicted to. I tried to avoid things that produce unnecessary worry at all costs.
The last straw, and when I saw the light, was a Dateline or 20/20 show about halogen lamps. Halogen floor lamps were big in the 90’s, and of course, we had one. The entire show was about how dangerous they are, and how many homes have burned down because of them.
I remember feeling panic in my stomach. I thought we JUST bought the lamp. Should I throw it away? Nah, nothing will happen. But what if it does? OH NO!!!
Then I saw the light, as it were. I thought, enough is enough. I am not going to sit around all day worrying about my house burning down. I will keep the lamp out of contact with the curtain, as any sane person would do anyway. Just remain calm and relaxed about it. Don't get worked up into a frenzy.
From that point forward, I quit watching these shows, and life has been much easier.
The topic has resurfaced though since having a baby. We subscribe to Parenting magazines, but not for long. The issues are filled with various things to be scared of because they will kill your baby. The thing that lit the bulb this time was an article about how basically everything in your house produces dust which can, well not kill, but cause your baby to have severe allergies. This is not a quote, but the general idea:
“There are tiny dust particles everywhere, even after you dust. These particles get into your baby’s lungs and cause allergies. You think you’re doing something good by putting a humidifier in your baby’s room? Think again. When not cleaned properly, all the humidifier does is cause mold of which the spores get into your baby’s lungs and cause asthma…” etc, etc.
At first I thought, “Oh no! I need the humidifier b/c it gets so dry in our house and baby gets sick from that , but we need to keep it clean b/c of the mold spores. I clean it, but what if it’s not clean enough? And the dust, and the cats…my baby!”
Then I got a grip. Listen, I cannot spend day in and day out worrying about the dust in my house. Dust exists. I can’t help it.
This is not to say I don’t do what I can. I do dust. Quite a bit. We vacuum. We clean. We do our best. Our very best. If it’s still not good enough, then we will all die I guess. But I’m not going to ruin my life by worrying about things I cannot control.
This is also not to say there is no value in informing the public of the dangers that may exist, of the newest studies, etc. It’s the way it’s approached that bothers me.
It’s obviously a marketing tactic for mass media. If you know there is going to be a show or article about something that might kill you or your baby, what kind of person are you if you don’t watch or buy it?
The problem is that we don’t know when it’s something to listen to or whether we should dismiss it.
It’s fine to be informed and to file things away in your “need to know” drawer. It’s quite another to worry about your very life and the life of your child over an ink ball pen or a lamp! They don’t have to say it that way, like your house will burn down if you don’t do such and such. Just because it happened to even 50 people doesn’t mean it will happen to you.
Shitty things happen and they always will. There is a difference between a freak accident, and things we could really prevent.
The public buys into this fear factor philosophy, which is why it sells so well. I can't tell you how many forwarded e-mails I get telling me to fear the gas station, the supermarket, the priest, not to mention the fact that if I don't forward the e-mail to 20 people within 20 minutes, I obviously have no friends, I obviously do not care, and I am generally cursed for life. Talk about a scare tactic!
So seriously, where is the line? I refuse to live my life scared as shit over everything that could burn my house down. At the same time, I do not want to ignore important information that could possibly save my loved ones’ lives. Who are what are the valid sources? Who can I trust?
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Thanks Eileen, and I commented on your blog today.
Pedophiles happens to be a big topic on these shows. It is pretty scary. I still think you do what you can to protect your children and the rest takes care of itself. I'd rather have a chain-link fence then a closed in prison in a daycare.
My son is in daycare. Do you realize how crazy I'd go if I worried every day about daycare? God...I hope they do the right things there. I'm not so worried about sexual abuse. Actually, not at all (cuz if I was, I'd yank him for sure). But the day to day stuff...the stuff they do differently than I'd do...drives me nuts. And it breaks my heart that it's not me there with him every day. I still hope I'm doing the right thing, working outside the home. I doubt myself every day about it.
Still, I'm not worried sick about pedophiles, but I will do what I can to protect Jude. I don't think every priest is a pedophile, for instance, but Jude won't be hanging out with a priest in a one-on-one all day retreat, (I've heard that's what happened in one case).
I agree with you - I think there are more good folks than bad.
I let go a long time ago and decided to trust my instincts. If we as a society has survived this long with dust in our houses, then my kiddos will too.
I swear the parenting magazines are the worst ones out there, first I read not to do something and then 6 months later they are telling me it's ok AND recommended by doctors. What doctors?? Same ones that told me NOT TO 6 months ago??? I had to stop, I had to break free from the stress of what if?
Trust yourself and your hubby and Jude, that is all you got ya know? Besides us Blends :>
If we as a society *has survived this long...
*have
It's all common sense baby, it's all common sense - with a just a little extra caution thrown in for good measure.
Marijayde: first of all, thanks for correcting that error cuz I thought you were stoopid or something. kidding!
re: the parenting mags: EXACTLY! They tell you one thing, and the next year, it all changes. It drives me nutso! I trust Blends more than hubby though, ha ha! :)
Carol - I do agree and will add that it's instinct, too.
WOW..deep & introspective thinking for a saturday AM peek into the world of blends~! Can't we all just watch some bad cartoons & forget about all the bad things?? ~lol~
Seriously tho.. I hear ya all on the Bizzare ever changing "advice" of the Media -whatever the medium.. It's enough to do your head in. I personally hate watching the damn news programs..& mostly Don't! the reality is ..Karla -you have one of the most sensible heads on your shoulders I've heard in a long while.. & while we can't control everything our kids encounter I quite believe- you all be fine!
When you stop to think about how we and our ancestors were brought up and how, today, we worry about every little thing, I think we have more problems NOW than we did then. Like it's been said trust yourself, you know deep inside what's good and what's bad. You'll be fine.
Happy Belated Mother's Day!!!!
Thanks Lala! I'm not sure everyone would agree that I am "sensible", but I'm glad you think so. As far as being serious, I like to mix it up sometimes, you know? I can't ALWAYS be talking about penises and pubic hair, as much as everyone would like me to. :)
Thanks E - I'm glad most moms have the same way of thinking that I do.
Happy Mother's Day to you all, too! I think it's still okay to be happy for Mother's Day. I didn't see anything on the news about it.
Post a Comment