Today, I was behind a minivan at a stoplight. The light turned green, and guy in minivan proceeded to turn veerry slowly. He was on his cell phone so he's allowed, right?
I actually did not care how slowly he turned, as he was turning (slowly) onto a 4-lane road, and I could simply pass him.
So I proceed to the left lane to pass him. As slow as he was going, I am somehow not getting around him. The fucker is speeding up in the right lane. I go faster, he goes faster. I need back in the right lane to make my turn, so I go ahead and get back in the right lane. Yep, I did cut him off.
Apparently, this Cell Phone Talking Mini Van Driving Guy does NOT allow that. He proceeded to tailgate me...very...closely. Dangerously close.
Then he followed me into my work parking garage.
I deliberately picked a space where there were no other open spaces around, so as to avoid a confrontation. I thought, "Surely, this dude isn't actually following me!". Dude certainly was. He stopped right behind my car. This middle-aged, bald dude.
I think, "ok, ok, I'll talk to him about it".
Dude (in a tone that is confrontational but not yelling): "Why are you in such a hurry?"
Me: "You were racing me!"
Dude: "No I wasn't"
Me: "You turned so slowly, so I went to pass you, then you sped up and wouldn't let me around you. Oh, are you on your cell phone? (I spy cell phone) Yes, yes you are"
I walk away with, "Have a nice day".
Dude, "Yeah, whatever".
Me: "God Bless You, Sir".
Dude: (in a sarcastic, pissed manner, and not that I wasn't being sarcastic myself, but for all he knew, I meant it) "Yeah, yeah".
I went back out to the garage about 1/2 hour later to make sure he did not damage my car somehow. I also moved my car to a different spot. I looked for his van, but did not see it. I am pretty sure he was not parking there, but just wanted to confront me.
You know, I'm not saying I was 100% right about cutting him off, but who follows people to their parking spot to say something? Does the guy follow every single person who doesn't drive the way he likes to their parking space? Or am I the first person to piss him off?
I handled it well on the spot, but by the time I got back to my office, I was all hyperventilating and stuff. Yeah, yeah, the fucking drama. I'm not used to being confronted in such a manner; rather thin-skinned am I. I'm glad I held it together in front of dude, though. But, I was able to make myself Drama Queen of the Day by talking about it on FB. :)
IN RETROSPECT:
1) I should have gone straight and taken the next right (not out of my way but by a fraction maybe), OR slowed down and got behind him, although I'm not sure if that was an option. I can't remember the traffic situation - who was behind us, etc. Okay...he was clearly being a dick. He was. He was speeding up while I was passing him, which is illegal. But...I admit that once I had it in my head that I wanted to be in front of him, he wasn't stopping me. When I got in front of him, I was cutting it close. I did have other options. Safe is better than Right. I should have picked a safer option not b/c he was right, but for my own safety. People are nuts. What if something worse would have happened?
2) I should have stayed in my car and not gotten out, and/or called the police. What if he would have had a gun or would have gotten out of his car? Sounds paranoid, but it could happen. I kind of wish I would not have parked and would have driven directly to the campus police station, which was not far. Would he have followed me there? Would that be a waste of the police's time if I were to go there in that situation?
3) I should not have gone back out to my car by myself, when I went to check to make sure there was no damage.
4) And I wonder if I should have taken the higher ground and simply apologized very nicely, even though I was not completely wrong in the matter?
====================================================
Hopefully, he has forgotten about this, and isn't going to "track me down" further.
Hopefully, he is not an alumnus (is that correct? Or alumni?) or professor or dean or some other higher up.
Hopefully, he doesn't know anyone I know.
Not because I think I am 100% wrong, but b/c I freaking cannot deal with controversy and confrontation and gossip.
I wanted to tell him I was pregnant and to leave me alone, ha ha.
But seriously, if I was a guy driving some big ol' truck, would he have followed me like that? I have the feeling it was b/c I was a woman. I mean I drive a station wagon with a car seat in the back. It's not like I'm some punk. What a dick!
And I live in a relatively small town. Clearly, I could never deal with NY or LA, admittedly.
Unfortunately, this type of stuff makes me hate People.
==========================================================
AND NOW THE POSITIVE:
But you know, I reluctantly have to thank this dickless dude. I am going to try harder to get in my driving zone and not give a shit. What I mean is, okay, dude speeds up, clearly trying to beat me, I don't want him to, so I don't let him. Fuck that. It's not worth my life or safety, and of course I always think of Jude (who wasn't with me at the time). Next time, I'll just let the dickless wonders "win" and go on with my safe life. So thank you, Mr. Asshole. You are clearly a Messenger from God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I had a similar situation once-nut shell version: I was turning left at a lighted intersection, stopped at the light,same deal, but I was the one in front, and just turned at a normal speed, which was obviously not fast enough for her (I had a car full of kids, but I'm not generally a slow turner) I stayed all the way to the right so she could easily pass, but instead of just passing me she passed my by flooring it and cuting me off SHARPLY.......At this point we are approaching a hospital entrance on the right so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, thinking possibly she needs to get over, mabye her kid has been in an accident or something, you never know, right?? Oh, no, she proceeds to slam on her BRAKES!! and luckily I was paying attention to her, or I would have for sure slammed into the back of her! And no, she didnt go to the hospital. My kids were all little and all with me at the time, and her slamming her brakes trying to make me hit her on purpose really scared me at first, and REALLLY pissed me off! I honked at her like I have never honked before! Who knows what was going (or not) through this womans head, but to try to cause an accident to another mom in a minivan is seriously disturbed. Who are these people???? I can totally see why people get murdered from road rage incidents. I think you handled you situation really well, I would have been worried about my car later on too.
Dang Janel, that is harsh! What the hell?? Why would anyone EVER do that???
I know people have problems. I try to think of that when there are bad drivers. Maybe she just caught their husband with another woman. Maybe she just found out she had cancer. Maybe she just got fired.
But the thing is, all these people have all these problems, they are all upset and angry, and they are behind the wheel of a 5000# vehicle (or whatever they weigh), taking it out on the world. It's scary!
It makes me sad, that people just really are so hateful towards one another sometimes, personal problems or not.
Post a Comment