Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Plastic Death

I saw a reference to a link about the dangers of plastic water bottles, and I decided to take a look at it. Apparently, not only are plastic water bottles bad for the environment, but they may leak chemicals that can cause problems.

It's rather frustrating b/c it took me years to even use water bottles at all as I considered them "too trendy" and for yuppies. Now that I finally use them, they are bad.

When I heard they were bad for the environment, I thought I was still doing okay b/c I recycle mine.

After doing a quick Google search, it seems the worst plastics are the harder ones, especially number 7's. But almost any number can be bad, allegedly.

So my first thought was: How can I eliminate plastic from my life? And then I realized how many things I have that are plastic. Is it just me? There is a ton of plastic in my house - toys, electronics, Jude's dishware and cups, storage containers, etc.

But back to water...I'm thinking, what can I drink out of then? Okay, no plastic water bottles. So I use this really cool, but plastic, container I got from the hospital after having Jude. And it's a hard plastic, of course. I look at the bottom...no number. So what do I do? Bring an actual glass glass to work and drink my water out of that? And tap water? I thought tap water was supposed to be the devil.

I continue reading online about the dangers of plastics, how many baby bottles are bad, plastic food storage is bad, how you shouldn't have canned foods including soups, no plastic containers for milk, etc. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed.

And as I click on link after link, I finally get to the one: "Can your vinyl siding kill you?" Oh for gosh sakes. I simply cannot worry about all of this stuff. I just cannot. I suppose I could convert everything to glass containers and buy milk in the cardboard cartons, but do I need to build another house with wood siding? Or a brick house? Will this really eliminate all carcinogenic chemicals from my life?

How valid are these findings anyway? Do I *really* need to worry about plastic, and what kind of water I drink?

I hate worrying about shit. I really do. Maybe I'm lazy, not sure, but I hate worrying about shit. It seems the whole world is out of control and there is nothing I can do about it. People are smoking outside my building and I have to walk through their smoke, but I've got to worry about my fucking plastic water bottle now? Great.

No comments:

site meter